Monday 2 November 2009

Update from eBay seller

Well it took them a few days to get back to me, but maybe they have thought a bit more about what I said to them and how they have a responsibilty to their buyers. But I'm still taking anything that they say to me with a pinch of salt.

Oh and amazing how their spelling has improved, its almost like that are reading this blog.

Hi ok i understand i have bought 20pcs of this stock direct from germany i know they have en1888 cert because they have emailed that to me i bought one pc for £300.00 plus vat i am selling already at a lost no problam if you can direct me in were i can get the remaining stock certifyed from in uk so i can get the uk cert then i would be able to do that i have 12 pcs left if you can help let me know i will get them certified here Thankyou

- miwheels2010

Now I know I would normally get paid for the kind of advice that they want, but for the sake of trying to get these products off the market, or to get some  kind of testing done on them, I thought I'd give them the advantage of my experiences.

Dear miwheels2010,

To be honest its going to cost you more than you are going to make on the products to test them if that is what you were charged.

As for a copy item like that you should not have paid more than £200 per piece.

The two test houses I would use in the UK are SGS in Bradford, or STR near Reading. It will cost you roughly around £300-£500 for testing to BS74509 and confirmation of conformity to EN1888. But on top of this you will need to test that the products fabrics comply to the home furnishing FR regulations, and that the entire product is pthalate free which could cost you roughly another £500 to do.

That is hoping that it passes, as retesting will cost you even more, and disposal of the existing stock that you are holding that doesn't comply.

A fast profit is not easy in baby products, especially not pushchairs. As you also need to offer a 2 year warranty on the goods for repairs.

And also expect to hear from Bugaboo too, as your product infringes their patents and design
.
 I would love to get to see the certificate that they were given by the German company, to know if I have heard of the test house that they have used.

But it shows to me that there is so much to consider when trying to sell pushchairs, and so many fly by night sellers really don't know what they are doing or have to do to ensure they are legal.

No comments:

Post a Comment